Mindfulness is a simple concept, which stems from ancient Buddhism, and was little known in the West until recently.
Mindfulness is paying attention on purpose, in the present moment and non-judgmentally. Mindfulness can enable you to see things differently, undoing mental and physical knots and tensions. It is a specific meditation technique that can increase your sense of being fully present in the moment, giving you more options and more strength to face the different challenges in your life.
There are many mindfulness techniques comprising of formal seated, walking meditation practices, breathing techniques, a ‘Body Scan’, to practising mindful eating.
Practising mindful meditation will help you :-
- cope better with the everyday pressures we are all under
- recognise the thoughts and judgements we make, often subconsciously, that generate more stress
- learn techniques to deal with stress and stressful situations
- find balance and a sense of calm
- deal with chronic illness and pain